Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Saving Mr Banks Review


First of all I have to mention how amazing it was (for me) to watch Tom Hanks play such an iconic figure as Uncle Walt. I would also like to mention that this is my own personal intake on the film, the rest of you are welcome to disagree as you please. Now that that is out of the way, the review can begin.
The two main actors gave a magnificent performance, with Tom Hanks’s head strong Disney (or should I say Walt) and Emma Thompson’s emotional, albeit equally strong willed Pame- pardon me, Mrs Travers. It was easy to enter the world of the movie and follow the turbulent journey of the Travers and, later, Disney.
The movie’s emotional ups and downs took me with them, as I found myself crying and laughing, or sometimes a mix of both.
Although I was not expecting the film to have quite such a serious tone to it that is not to say that this is a negative factor. In fact, I thought Colin Farrell’s performance as Mr Travers was moving, in more ways than one. Between feeling sorry for his wife and angry with him for not thinking more of his family I would say there is quite an emotional turmoil throughout the film.
The ending, although not what you would call a fairy-tale ending, is still satisfactory, after all the writer gets what she wants when “Mr Banks” is redeemed. I could not help but think, however, that as a child you do not really focus on Mr Banks’ redemption so much as you do as an adult. In adulthood is when you realize that this father of two has decided to centre his life on his children more than his work (or in Mr Travers’ case [based on the film] his drinking), and thus he is saved.
My favourite scene is when the Sherman brothers are performing the first musical scene, where Bert sings comical poems. Now since Mrs Travers showed aversion to the word “responstable” they show themselves reluctant to reveal another, now famous, little musical piece: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
I also enjoyed recognising lines from Mary Poppins, such as Mr Banks’ “I always know what to say,” said by Mrs Travers. The question is which came first?
I feel it is my duty to take this opportunity to say how disappointed I am that Mrs Travers was able to meet Uncle Walt and visit Disneyland with him, while a tremendous fan of his such as myself was not even born in his lifetime. Needless to say I shall be having a rather long and serious conversation with my parents (in fact, they are just lucky I am not suing them).
After watching this marvellous telling of Mrs Travers dealings with Disney, I can say two things with certainty:
  1. “Mr Banks” was certainly saved and
  2. The Disney Company is certainly lucky Mrs Travers has passed on, or Saving Mr Banks would certainly not be out yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here...